Monday 4 April 2016

What School Does Your Child Attend?


I am supposed to be a teacher by training but because I wanted my reward on earth first before getting it in heaven with a bumper harvest too, I dropped the chalk to join the world of banking before leaving to now do my own stuff. This has however not reduced my love for children and education over the years.

In fact from a young age, I used to say to myself that I'll one day become the Minister of Education in Nigeria but I'll start first by being a Commissioner of the same portfolio in my state. This was informed by my disgust at schools who could not even be classified as a tutorial centre because of the rotten, (for lack of a better word) structures put up as school buildings obviously lacking in basic amenities that could make for conducive learning. What irked me the most was that the proprietors even had the effrontery to add the word 'International' to the name of their schools as well as claim that it is Government Approved.

Even to my young mind then, I used to wonder what sort of irresponsible government approved such schools. Then, public schools were not in such dilapidated conditions like we see them today. The obvious decadence in  our educational sector over the years has now seen a rise in the proliferation of these so called international schools.

Sometime last month, I received the image below in a Whatsapp group. This is supposedly a literature book been used by students in a school. The picture says it all. I remember feeling very sad and exasperated when I saw this image and I am just hoping by God this is some kind of sick joke just meant as comic relief on social media.


Another occurrence is the picture of a giraffe painted on a school fence most likely, been passed off as a mouse. Pray tell, is this some kind of prank or what? The picture went viral and I was hoping by some stroke of luck that the school with such disgraceful painting will get called out. Sad. If this is not a sign of the end time, please tell me what is.


For those already scoffing and priding themselves on been on the better side of the social divide and could possibly never send their children to such schools, hold your horses for a second. There are schools and there are schools. There are schools that are actually involved in the total education (social, moral and intellectual) of the child while there are schools that are just purpose built schools. How do I mean? They are basically buildings (note I didn't say schools) which looking at them seem to have all the trappings of the basic requirements of education; the spacious classrooms, facilities, laboratories, well maintained lawns, serene and generally conducive learning environment. Sadly, that's where the story ends. Schools like these only concern themselves in educating the mind of the children but do nothing about their social and moral education. Such schools abound around us if we pay close attention. The school is all big and beautiful but the students are unruly, the staff look like they were forced to work, even those at the helms of affairs who should know better are not any better.

 

I once went to a school while school hunting for my children in the neighbourhood we had just moved to. After I was taken round this particular school, I made up my mind even before I left the premises that I definitely was not going to take my beauties there. It wasn't because the school building was not up to standard, in fact that was what attracted me in the first place, or that they didn't have the usual requirements for a nursery school. Their reception area was inviting and the receptionist even though warm and polite, looked like she was trying to be upbeat. She got a teacher to take me round the class upon knowing my mission and these were my impressions at the end of the tour:

I couldn't help feeling that the teachers were either poorly paid or ill treated as they were all dragging along like they wished they hadn't come to work or somebody just died. I was forced to ask the receptionist the latter when I got back to her desk and when she answered in the negative, I concluded it had to be the former.

Upon getting to one of the arms of the grade my eldest daughter would be, the sight I met almost made me gasp for air. No exaggeration. While some of the children were jumping from one desk to the other, some were yelling and laughing like it was a competition and wait for it, their teacher was seated right there in class. When I asked if they were on a break of sorts to warrant such pandemonium, she answered,

"No", in a very dismissive and can't-be-bothered tone.
Now you know why I made that decision. Parents, please when school hunting, take the time to do due diligence. Yes I said that because the education of a child is serious business. Beautiful buildings don't make a good school. Neither does the foreign accents of the personnel. Don't be deceived. Ask yourself the following questions the next time you are about to make this kind of decision:

- What is the reputation of the school? What are they popularly known for or known as? Is it just a school to announce your social status or a school that your child can be better in every sense? Education is much more than learning how to read and write or being knowledgeable, it should also help in the social and moral development of a child. Are they big on extracurricular activities? What are the core values of the school?

- What is the atmosphere in the school like? Warm? Hostile? Trust me you can tell this even from one encounter. There is no such thing as a bad or good day. No business should leave its prospective clients with a horrible first impression. Take note of the attitude of as many personnel as you meet as possible. The security, receptionist, teachers, drivers even. Remember, children learn more from what they observe than from what they are told and your child will be spending at least 6 hours, 5 days a week with these people. Does it make sense now?

- What are the natural gifts and talents of your child? Will it find room for expression in the school you are considering or will it be suppressed? Will it be better honed? Do not let proximity and fees alone be the only deciding factors in choosing a school for your child. If the fees are a bit of a challenge, you just might start thinking of setting up an educational trust fund for your children. According to the wise words of Dr Femi Paul, who happens to be my pastor by the way, this is what family planning should be beyond just having well spaced out children. Planning ahead for the future of your children. Can I get an Hallelujah? Lol.

So the next time you want to take your child to that school, make sure you are able to tick check on the factors highlighted which are by no means exhaustive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment