Tuesday 8 March 2016

My #Doitafraid Moment

Remember what I shared the other day here about doing it in bits and doing it afraid? Well, I had a 'Physician heal thyself' moment over the weekend.

My good friend, Mercy Makinde (whom I'll be talking about a lot more in subsequent posts) rings me up one memorable day and started to share with me her dream about wanting to have a support group for women where they can be empowered, mentored and most importantly supported to face the vicissitudes of life that comes with being a woman. It sounded quite interesting and I was excited about it particularly because I know her story and how she was still standing against all odds. Before I knew it, plans started in top gear and we planned the whole event within a week. But that's not even the gist. Like two days after we talked, I was at her place and then she gave me the 'shocking' news that I'll be the anchor of the event. I said shocking because when I saw the line up of speakers, I was truly amazed.
 

These are women who are considered icons in their industry and rightly so including a man who is the Vice President, Corporate Communications & CSR, Airtel Nigeria Limited. Fine I know I enjoy talking and I am a good conversationalist, even if I say so myself, but holding a conversation and compeering an event are two different things. I left her place that day and later sent her a message thanking her for the vote of confidence and opportunity and she replied as if sensing my unexpressed hesitation,

"It's in you! I say this all the time. My instinct never fails me".

I read the message and I said to myself,

"O pari! I don enter am".

The days leading up to the event, I cannot count on one hand the number of times I thought of calling her to say she should use someone else. I was so unsure of myself seeing that I had never compered an event before how much more a high profile one such as this. Every manner of self limiting thought crossed my mind.

"What if I bore the audience?"

"What if I get so tensed I start stumbling on my words?"

" What if Mercy is not impressed at the end of the day and says because of me her instinct failed her this time?"

I was all mix of emotions. Tensed, excited and apprehensive but through it all I kept saying to myself,

"Toyin, do it afraid. Do it shaking till you shake no more."

The day before, I had attended an event, the inauguration of the Youth church of Grace Assembly (this is the church I attend by the way) where the speaker, Debola 'Lagos' Williams (you need to google this guy men, that's all I can say) had said in sharing his story,

"Take on that 'thankless' job to sharpen your skills".

That is, for one to continually develop oneself, one will need to take up some jobs or assignments that one may not necessarily get paid or commended for but it will be an avenue to sharpen one’s skills. That was exactly the disposition I had towards this assignment. At least I will learn how to compere an event and what's more, it could possibly open doors I didn't even see before.

Now I have shared my story. Peradventure you have read it up to this point and you are scoffing at me thinking,

‘’What's the big deal in anchoring an event? What's the big deal about the speakers? Are they not women like yourself? Is it not to speak English and be composed?’’

I apologize for disappointing you but that was my #doitafraid moment. Maybe yours is even bigger and more distinguished than mine. My question to you is,

‘’Are you doing it at all not to talk of doing it afraid?’’

 Remember action is better than thoughts. I think from the feedback I got from some of the audience and my beautiful friend, I did not do badly so I said to myself in Steve Harris' voice,

"Done and dusted!"
 

In a later post I will share with you some useful tips on compering an event. Not like I am now a pro but just based on this my first experience. Boy, did I learn. So like my people in Warri will say,

"Na from clap e dey enter dance".

Na from dis first event I go get plenty till I become a professional. I’ll say to you to never pass up an opportunity to learn and develop yourself. Like Mrs Adenike Ogunlesi, Founder and Chief Responsibility Officer of Ruff n Tumble said to us at this event, she said,

"Stay fresh! Stay green!"
 

To all my women readers I want to urge you, if there is one empowerment group for women you should join, it has to be the Amazing Amazon Initiative. For more details, please take time to visit and register to join at www.theamazingamazon.org . We started in Lagos, next stop is Abuja, then Port Harcourt and eventually to all the states in Nigeria and yes across the continent. You sure will thank me later for this to which I say in advance,

"The pleasure is all mine".

No comments:

Post a Comment