Friday 19 February 2016

#NannySeries2



Wonderful people of the ville, how are you all doing? Trust the week is rounding off nicely. For our Nigerian readers (yes o we are been read all over the world even in Syria, hehehe), hope the exchange rate is not giving you too much hypertension? May our currency not become like tissue paper o or am I saying this prayer too late? Anyway e go better only that this time no be only poor man prayer.

Last week we kicked off a series here on nannies, maids, house governors or whatever name you call your child handlers. We continue this week with another story of another nanny of mine who for the purpose of this post I will call Joy. Joy came into our lives at a point when I had just started my entrepreneurial journey. She was truly a prayer answered as I was just reeling from a nasty nanny experience. The first time I met her I didn’t think I’d employ her because she didn’t look friendly so I thought she might be mean to my girls but the person who introduced her to me spoke highly of her.

She was at the time a single mother of one who could not complete her OND degree due to the unplanned pregnancy. Joy was such a blessing to our household. I’m reminded of her when I read about Joseph in the Bible where it was said that Pharaoh knew nothing about what was in his house as everything was in Joseph’s care except his wife. But thankfully, Joy unlike Joseph did not end up in jail from my house.

She first worked as a non-resident nanny with me for almost a year then left and came back to stay as a live in nanny. Every morning, she will wake up before everyone else in the house, say her prayers (saw her a couple of times), wake the girls and dress them up for school, by the time I’m out of bed by 7 or sometimes 8 a.m (perks of being your own boss), the whole house is sparkling. She was a devout Christian and not just in words but even in her conduct. My girls learnt quite a number of Bible stories and Christian songs from Joy. In short, she made parenting seem like a walk in the park. Only thing was she was not so firm with them and that was just fine with me as dear hubs and I handled that.
 

On her weekends off rather than go home straight, Joy would first preach to the guards on my street before heading home. She remains one of the few people outside of my immediate family that I can trust with my children.  In the weeks leading to the preparation for my dad’s burial, Joy made it so easy for me to cope with my grief. She made sure that we were all well taken care of and some days will come to me assuring me that my dad was in a better place. In the almost two years that she was with me, she proved that not all nannies need be nasty or monsters.
 

Today Joy is happily married to a man who accepted her and her son and together they now have a daughter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment